Singapore Nullity or Annulment

//Singapore Nullity or Annulment

Singapore Nullity or Annulment

An Applicant may apply to Court to annul his or her marriage in some circumstances such as your spouse is already married; your spouse has refused to consummate the marriage (wilful refusal); the marriage has not been consummated because you or your spouse is incapable of consummating it; or if at the time of your marriage, your spouse is suffering from venereal disease and you are not aware of this.

A marriage can be void or voidable.

A marriage is void where (section 105, Women’s Charter):

  • Either party is below the age of 18
  • The parties are within prohibited degrees of relationship as set out in the Charter, and have not obtained a special statutory marriage licence to wed
  • Either party has committed bigamy
  • The parties are not respectively male and female
  • The marriage is not formally solemnised

A marriage can be held voidable on the grounds of (section 106, Women’s Charter):

  • Non-consummation owing to the incapacity of either party to consummate it or wilful refusal of the defendant to consummate it
  • Either party not validly consenting to the marriage, whether as a consequence of duress, mistake, unsoundness of mind or otherwise
  • Either party, although capable of giving a valid consent, suffering (whether continuously or intermittently) from a mental disorder so as to be unfit for marriage
  • The defendant suffering from venereal disease in a communicable form
  • The defendant being pregnant by some person other than the claimant

Loh Eben Ong LLP

Using Loh Eben Ong's Singapore legal services is extremely simple.

Changing your name

Do you know it is easy to change your name? You need a Deed Poll signed in the presence of a Singapore Lawyer. You can get a quote and submit online at