The Deed Poll is a physical document executed in a law firm, and the law firm has no obligation to communicate the change to anyone. The onus is on you to notify the various authorities of the change of nane.

If the child has a NRIC, you should change his name at ICA with Deed Poll within 28 days from the date of the Deed.

If the child has no NRIC (for those 1 year old and above), in our opinion, you should either:-

  •  notify the Registry of Birth of the change so that ICA’s record is updated; or
  •  apply for a new passport for the child with his new name using the Deed Poll.

Otherwise, the relevant authorities, particularly ICA, will not be aware of the change of your chlid’s name vide Deed Poll.