Applications are to be made in accordance with the provisions of the Adoption of Children Act.
In general, an adoption order is not made when the sole Applicant is a male and the child is a female unless the Court is satisfied that there are special circumstances which justify making such an exceptional order.
To make an application, the following must be satisfied:-
(1) the Applicant must be at least 25 years of age;
(2) the Applicant must be at least 21 years older than the child whom he/she is seeking to adopt;
(3) the Applicant must be a resident in Singapore;
(4) the child must be resident in Singapore;
(5) the parent or guardian of the child must consent to the application; and
(6) the spouse of the Applicant must give his/her consent if it is not a joint application.